The Oviedo City Council covers an area of 185.14 sq km and is situated in central Asturias, strategically located between the Nalón and Nora Rivers. The maximum height is the Monte Picayu of 709 meters.
The monks Máximo and Fromestano founded the city in 761, choosing this hill in the center of Asturias that would become a hub of urban life, commercial, ecclesiastical and military life for over 1200 years.
Today Oviedo is the capital of the Principality of Asturias and is a university and administrative services city. Trade has become the key economic sector. Today it is a city with a notable, international projection through the Prince of Asturias Award, given annually at the Campoamor Theatre and the International Campus, attended by personalities of the highest global relevance.
The Oviedo citizens take great pride in their city, rehabilitating old monuments and facades, creating areas of natural parks throughout the city and maintaining the general appearance of the city. Oviedo has been awarded both nationally and internationally for its clean streets and the consciousness of its citizens.